As Halloween 2011 approaches, as a shepherd and "Assistant Headmaster", I feel that I should remind people about the not-so-cute, spiritually dangerous activities that many foolish people -- teens and adults -- may be planning to have Halloween "fun" with. My targets: The Ouija Board, Mediums, Seances, Tarot Cards, etc.
THE OUIJA BOARD, MEDIUMS, SEANCES, ETC.
The Book of Deuteronomy 18:9-14 [New American Bible translation]:
"When you come into the land which the LORD, your God, is giving you, you shall not learn to imitate the abominations of the peoples there.Why won't the Lord permit the use of Ouija Boards, Seances, Mediums, etc.? Because He is trying to protect us! The reason? Read on, ye Academicians!
Let there not be found among you anyone who immolates his son or daughter in the fire, nor a fortune-teller, soothsayer, charmer, diviner, or caster of spells, nor one who consults ghosts and spirits or seeks oracles from the dead.
Anyone who does such things is an abomination to the LORD, and because of such abominations the LORD, your God, is driving these nations out of your way.
You, however, must be altogether sincere toward the LORD, your God.
Though these nations whom you are to dispossess listen to their soothsayers and fortune-tellers, the LORD, your God, will not permit you to do so."
Our Lord Jesus and His Apostles taught the Church that each individual will appear before God immediately after death, receive judgment, and be assigned to one of three states of existence: Heaven, Purgatory, or Hell.
This experience of judgment is called the Particular Judgment (the Individual or one-on-one judgment only involving God and the individual soul). From our Particular Judgment, we will be assigned to Heaven, Purgatory, or Hell, to await the Lord’s Final Judgment.
The Book Of Wisdom tells us, “The souls of the righteous are in the Hand of God, and no torment will ever touch them”(Wisdom 3:1). The souls of deceased human beings, immediately after death, encounter God, are judged individually, and then dispatched to Hell, Purgatory, or Heaven until the Last Judgment comes.
Neither your deceased Aunt Tilly nor any other human soul is moving the planchette around on the Ouija Board, nor speaking through Mediums. “Dead men tell no tales.”
The souls of human beings after death are present and accounted for in Hell, Purgatory, or Heaven. So, if human souls are not causing these paranormal events, then there's only one agency for these activities: Evil Spirits, Demons masquerading as the souls of deceased human persons.
A French priest and paranormal investigator, Pere Mainage, O.P., wrote a short and sweet summary of the directive principles of Catholic Teaching on “ghosts,” Spiritualism, Mediums, and paranormal activities. Simply stated:
- The Church has not dogmatically pronounced upon the essential nature of spiritualistic phenomena.
- Nonetheless, the Church forbids the general body of the faithful to take any part in spiritualistic practices.
- When paranormal manifestations occur, the Church suspects that diabolical agencies are intervening. [La Religione Spirite, page 176]
There are reasons why God says “No” to human beings involving themselves with "ghosts" and spirits. Simply put, when we human beings get involved with discarnate spirits, like demons, we are swimming with sharks, playing with incredibly dangerous spiritual powers.
- They are psychologically stronger than us, smarter than us.
- They are hostile, angry, devious, evil beings which want to destroy us .
- They hate us.
- They want to pull us into the eternal misery and hopelessness that they exist in for eternity (see Chapter Three of The Book Of Genesis).
Evil spirits manage to capture us through our freely chosen, altered state of consciousness which we must be in in order to sense them.
For example: When we pray, especially in contemplation, we voluntarily shift our brain activity to a higher consciousness, a concentrated, intentional openness of our intellect and emotions, in order to discern the presence of God and permit Him to enter our hearts and minds.
In activities like séances, using a Ouija Board, or ghost hunting, we place our minds into a similar state of consciousness: an open, receptive, unprotected mindset. You unwittingly unlock all the doors and windows of your conscious and unconscious mind and emotions, and invite these monsters into your being.
It won't be long before you feel the effects of these diabolical squatters in your life.
- They will start destroying your mind, emotions, and faith.
- Demons accomplish their goals by “messing with your head.”
- Sinful human pride is what coaxes people’s fascination with the paranormal.
- Spiritualism and obsession with the paranormal are pseudo-religions: religions without God ― because, in these religions, you are god.
- Implanting tiny, poisonous seeds of temptation in your heart, they will stimulate feelings of omniscience in you, feelings that you are special, apart from and better than other people ― because of the knowledge you obtain from these spirits.
- They will stroke your ego and help inflate it.
- Then, when you are so pleased and comfortable with all your “specialness,” comes the catch.
To Be Continued...