Father Dwight Longenecker has a terrific article debunking the myths concerning the "pedophile priest." He quotes an extensive study by Phillip Pullman that provide the following under-reported facts:
- Priestly celibacy is not the issue - married men are more likely to abuse children than unmarried
- Most child abuse takes place within the home.
- All religious groups have pedophile scandals, and the Catholics (while the largest religious group) are at the bottom of the list statistically.
- Child abuse is prevalent in all areas of society: schools, youth organizations, sports, etc.
- Statistically, of all the professions, Christian clergy are least likely to offend. Doctors, Farmers and Teachers are the professions most likely to abuse children--not clergy.
- Among clergy offenders Catholic priests are least likely to offend.
- Catholic cases of pedophilia make more headlines because of anti Catholic prejudice and because the Catholic Church is bigger and more lucrative to sue...